5 Downtown Spots to celebrate National Fried Chicken Day
July 6, 2016 | In In the Press
Whether you prefer your fried chicken finger-lickin’ good or scrumdidliumtious, we’ve got you covered here in Downtown Round Rock!
Ok, sure, none of these places have the tried and true just-like-your-grandma-used-to-make-it traditional fried chicken, but they all have dishes that involve a little chicken and a lot of fryin’. And, really, that’s what the spirit of National Fried Chicken Day is all about anyway… right? Right!
So, without further ado, or anymore of this chitchatting we’ve been doing, here are five delicious spots right here in our hometown downtown that’ll have you cockadoodledooing all the way back to that coop you call home:
- Fried Chicken Thighs: Battered and served crispy with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, zucchini noodles and a knock-your-socks-off-good green chili gravy.
- Farm Egg Bacon and Potato Salad: No fried chicken here, but heck, we figure when you’ve got a salad chock full of goodness like a soft crispy fried egg, duck fat fried potatoes, greens, picked green tomatoes and black garlic dressing, it really doesn’t matter what hashtag holiday it is. And eggs come from chickens anyway, so we consider ourselves in the clear on this one.
Urban eat. drink.
- Chicken Fried Chicken: Pounded chicken breast battered by hand and fried, this dish is served up with fresh steamed broccoli, mashed taters and an ol’ fashioned cream gravy so good you might just be tempted to slap your mama. But don’t, because that would be horrible and definitely outside the #NationalFriedChicken rules for safe eating.
Rock Sports Bar
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich: Fried chicken breast tossed in a buffalo sauce with a kick worthy of World Cup action, this fried chicken sandwich is served up right with chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles. Drooling yet?
- Chicken Fried Chicken: Sometimes there’s just nothing more to say.
The Scarlet Rabbit
- Chicken and Waffles: When we read that this dish was on the dinner menu, we just about flipped our fried chicken lid! Just. Plain. Awesome. After all, who doesn’t want a warm yeast waffle cozied up to a crispy boneless chicken breast slathered in scarlet syrup and house made butter?
Louisiana Longhorn Café
- Chicken Fried Chicken: So what if it’s the third chicken fried chicken dish on our list? If it were up to us, it’d have its own national holiday! Take a few bites of this tender chicken breast cut into strips, hand breaded and fried… you’ll be singing our praises.